farewell to summer

off to the races

Well if today wasn’t just the strangest day I’ve had lately?

The day started with a twist of plans to pick up a car for summer camp eventhough I was halfway to Boulder already.  My participant for the day was the same small racecar child with autism, cerebral palsy and ADD from last week.  I came more prepared and armed with trinkets and toys to distract.  However, I could not distract myself from the apparent pee that ended up on my shirt when he peed through his three diapers only 20 minutes after arrival.  Ewww.

Since it was raining and cold (AGAIN!) we had to forego our field games and head to the nearby mall for glow-in-the-dark mini golf.  My participant was most definitely NOT interested in any kind of organized activity so instead we did laps up and down the mall and had mini freaks out when redirected to stop licking the storefront windows.

I was thankful for the long drive ahead so that I could recharge my battery.  We drove the hour and a half into the mountains to the gambling capital of Colorado – Central City to see the Central City Opera. When we got there, we found our seats, he enjoyed one of his three pureed meals and then we headed across the street to the 125 year old historic building and found the downstairs bathroom.  From there, I found a nice bathroom parlor room which was fully enclosed (this is key to success in containing a “runner”).  I dumped the trinkets and then we spent the next 45 minutes bouncing plastic BINGO balls on the tile floor.  Oh man does that entertain.  Then when that lost its charm, we resorted to endlessly flushing the toilets with the antique plumbing.  That kiddo never laughed so hard each time the water swirled.  Hilarious I tell you.

So then when we said “bye bye” to the toilets, we made it back to the Opera house just in time to meet our carmates on the way to the parking lot.  I heard the show was fantastic and interactive – so glad we drove an hour and a half to Central City to bounce BINGO balls in the bathroom parlor.  It was a good time.

And to top off the day, we drove back and he took a poo in his diapers 20 minutes before we got to the basesite.  We had to roll the windows down.

Then I came home and took a three hour nap.  The End.

Tomorrow I will spend my last summer camp day with the same chica from last week and she couldn’t be more opposite from today’s participant.  I think it will be a nice change of pace if you know what I mean.  I also have to turn in my insurance paperwork (hooray!) and finish making up my supply order (not hooray).

Last day of “summer”… here I come.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s